Good footwear is essential for a good hike. Wearing a wrong and an uncomfortable pair could cause a lot of trouble. Though product reviews are a great help, the only way to know for sure if a pair is good is if you try them on.
Here, we’d like to give you a little guidance as to what to look out for and a list of our tested and proven picks of the best hiking sandals for womens should consider buying.
**Below, you’ll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer’s reviews on Amazon.
Best Hiking Sandals for Women 2018
Now that you know what to consider, here are 5 of our top picks. We think these are the best hiking sandals women should try:
HybridLife is the mantra KEEN company upholds. They create products that are designed for you to use outdoors. They live up to their goals with the Women’s Whisper Sandals.
It is a versatile and lightweight pair of sandals that are perfect for the beach, the city, and easy hiking trails.
The footbed of these sandals is compression-molded EVA. The internal support system allows excellent arch support and follows the natural contour of feet using their metatomical footbed design. It also has non marking outsoles.
- Machine washable.
- Adjusting the tightness with the bungee lace capture system is easy.
- You can choose from many colors.
- They are an excellent combination of comfort and support.
- Dry quickly
- It’s functional, but it’s not very attractive.
- When rocks or sand gets it, it’s not easy to take out.
- May give blisters at the back of your ankle.
Teva is a leading shoe brand, particularly in outdoor sandals and boots. They aim to create comfortable and functional products that are positively impacting the environment.
The Tirra Sports sandals are specifically designed for everyday activities as well as outdoor adventures. They are designed to withstand long hikes while maintaining comfort and style. These sandals have water-ready, and the straps are quick-dry.
- Hook and loop so you can adjust it to fit perfectly.
- Pretty good with dresses, jeans, and other casual wear.
- The insoles are very comfortable.
- You can use them on the beach or any water related activities.
- You can choose from many colors.
- The strap on the ankles is uncomfortable.
Skechers is a top global brand in the footwear industry. They offer a wide variety of footwear, from boots to sandals, for adults to children. Their Reggae Rasta Thong Sandals is an excellent choice for beachgoers, but also for everyday use.
It has a soft Nubuck and web fabric strap with adjustable slide straps a more secure fit. It also has a cushioned footbed for added comfort and outsoles that have excellent traction.
- They are very versatile. You can use them for everyday activities, but they are sturdy enough or long city walks, and hikes through flat trails. They are also good for the beach.
- When settling into camp, you can change from your hiking boots to these comfortable sandals.
- They are a great traveling companion because they are comfortable and versatile.
- You can choose from many colors.
- These sandals don’t have straps to the ankle, so it’s not ideal for hiking long distances and rocky terrain.
- It doesn’t dry quickly
- You will need to break into the sandals. It may take a few days of use.
These are classic water shoes with the airiness of sandals and the protection of shoes. Like most KEEN sandals, these are made with Cleansport NXT for a natural odor. They have compression-molded EVA midsole for comfort and durability. The outsoles are non-marking with razor siping.
For ease-of-use, the secure fit lace capture system makes putting on and taking off easy. It’s also easy to clean up because it uses a machine-washable polyester webbing upper.
- The sandals can protect your toes like shoes because of the front cover. It still offers the breeziness of sandals.
- They provide more ankle support than strappy sandals so you can use them for the easy-medium low terrain.
- A great comfortable alternative for sneakers for everyday walking and traveling.The material is quick dry, so it’s ideal for water activities or crossing through streams.
- There is a wide variety of colors to choose from.
- They’re a little too bulky to bring as an extra pair for campsite use. (In cases when you have to use boots to hike)
- When sand, stones, or mud get in, it’s hard just to shake off. You’d have to remove them completely to shake the dirt off.
- For a better fit, get half a size up.
The Teva Omnium for women is an excellent outdoor performance pair of sandals. They are hybrid of shoes and sandals because you get the toe protection of shoes, but the breeziness of sandals.
They also have a quick-dry and breathable upper, and excellent traction Spider Rubber Outsole, both qualities deal for water activities and hiking.
- You can use them for all sorts of activities, such as city walks, kayaking, hiking, and river trekking. They’re also ideal for everyday use.
- You can adjust three points for a better fit.
- It’s easy to adjust, buckle, and unbuckle.
- It has good quality shock absorption on the heels
- Machine washable
- Comfortable footbed
- Too bulky. You can wear them for the hike, but for more challenging terrains, you might need boots. With boots, you might prefer flip flops or open-toed sandals for camp.
- The ankle strap might be a little irritating at the back of your foot.
- Hard to remove dirt that enters through the openings.
- They make your feet look fat. It’s not as fashionable as the others.
When To Choose Hiking Sandals
Hiking shoes should be part of every hiker’s important things to have, no matter how experienced they are. Even when you need to use hiking boots on the trail, you’d still want to bring them along for use in the campsite. Unlike boots, they provide ventilation, so it feels liberating when you take boots off and allow your feet to breathe.
Hiking sandals are also very versatile. You can use them for an urban walk and lowland hiking. Since they are lightweight, they’re also perfect for traveling. They’re also suitable for crossing streams because they dry quicker than boots. Unfortunately, they don’t give as much ankle support as boots do, so they aren’t ideal for steep terrain.
If you’re not going to hike rough terrains, then sandals will do just fine. Just keep in mind other factors as well because sandals have their downfalls. Aside from not having ankle support, sandals expose your feet to sticks, stones, insect, and dirt. They also can’t protect you from cold weather unless you wear socks, but even that might not be enough.
What To Consider When Buying Hiking Sandals
As we mentioned earlier, these hiking sandals are usually versatile. A great pair works well for urban walking, stream crossing, tame trails, and more. But, some are also just good for one or two things.
Consider what activity you think you might do so you can find one that suits it. You will most likely just need to look into special requirements for water activities.
- For water activities, more open strappy sandals will work better because they will dry quicker. You should also choose one that fits snugly to your feet so that it won’t slip off.
- Water activities require traction so make sure the soles of the sandals are good. Look for something that is slip resistant like rubber outsoles. Make sure the contact area is large and ensures an excellent grip on the terrain.
Typically, there are two common styles to choose from: close-toed sandals or strappy open-toed sandals. When choosing between the two, think about how much protection you might need. Close-toed sandals will keep sticks and rocks from hitting your toes. However, when pebbles get in, it’s difficult to shake out.
You should also think about the hiking trail conditions. Knowing what to expect will help you be prepared.
The straps are critical because they hold your feet to the shoes. Make sure you look into the fabric it uses. You’ll want something that’s waterproof or quick dry, soft to prevent chaffing, and tough for different weather conditions.
You should also check how you can adjust the straps. Adjustable straps come in handy, like when you want to put socks. Finally, consider the locking mechanism it uses. Is it a buckle, velcro, or what? Ideally, it should be quick and easy to use.
You’ll want sandals that offer excellent arch support to avoid injuries and discomfort. Having uncomfortable sandals, or shoes in general, can ruin a hiking trip too soon.
Knowing the material used on the sandals can help you in this area, but there’s no better way than trying them on. Have a walk in them and observe for any pressure points and possible chafing.
Footbed, midsole, and outsole
- Ideally, footbeds should have padding or cushion for comfort. An excellent contour also helps in securing your foot and preventing it from slipping as you walk. These are essential especially for long walks over slightly rocky terrains. Footbeds are synonymous to insoles and are usually made of EVA, which is a type of plastic.
- The midsole is also for cushioning, as well as shock absorption. If the midsole is firm, the shoe is usually stiff and heavy. These may last longer. On the other hand are soft midsoles. They have better shock absorption but wear faster than firm ones. For more information, read here.
Hiking sandals are very versatile. Depending on the style, brand, and materials used, they could be good for the beach, hiking, and everyday use. When looking to buy one, decide what you want to use it for so you can choose something that suits the purpose. And while guides and reviews help a lot, the best way to find the right pair is to try them on.
For me, the winner on this list would have to be the Keen Women’s Whisper Sandals because of its versatility. These sandals are the most fashionable among the choices, and still very functional. They’re perfect for hiking, the beach, and looks good with everyday wear. They are feminine yet tough.