What Are The Best Hiking Boots For Wide Feet/Flat Feet in 2017?
One of the most exhilarating outdoor recreations is hiking. It is undeniable that experiencing the life by witnessing higher perspective can only be done if you hike. But if you want to do this endeavor, I advise that you will put some proper equipment first.
For people with wider feet, this could be a problem. Good thing, there are the best hiking boots for wide feet they could always try.
** Below, you'll find more detailed reviews, but you can also click links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Top 5 Best Hiking Boots for Wide Feet
Hiking is fun but requires preparation. You need every gear that can make your hike more convenient and doable. Of all your body parts, your feet should receive more protection, support, and convenience while doing this activity. As all of you know, your feet catch all of your upper body pressure when trekking.
Choosing hiking boots are all about preference. But if you have wide feet, then this option narrows done. You need to select footwear that runs broader than the ordinary ones. Moreover, this boots should still give you enough comfort, protection, and traction. These three should never be compromised.
As an important reminder, always pay attention to the size of the boots. Do not ever buy hiking footwear that is too loose or too small for you. They would be painful to use, which will eventually ruin your trekking experience.
Best for Backpacking
The Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot is ideal footwear for person with wide feet. Award-winning trail runners have worn it because of the support, stability, and performance it gives. What makes this footwear great is that it also improves the stability of the ankle.
Aside from hiking, this boot is also ideal for running. Therefore, the Salomon Quest 4D is both nimble and stable. It is an excellent choice for all-rounder trail runners.
Moreover, its outsole uses the Contagrip technology that gives quality traction, regardless of the terrain that you are trekking. Aside from this feature, this footwear also uses the 4D Advanced Chassis that sustain foot support and gives off stability to the torso.
The upper construction is a combination of synthetic and leather materials to improve the boot's durability and resistance to abrasion and water. It has a quality lacing system, and its ankle collar provides comfort whenever you are descending.
It also uses Gore-Tex mesh in its upper for superior waterproof resistance.
- Sturdy and durable construction
- All-around shoes
- Quality traction
- Provides stability to the foot
- Has a lot of seams that can wear out
- Too burly for casual hiking
Best for Day Hikes
You can’t deny that you will have achy feet when you go on hiking. To lessen the soreness, you need to match your feet with a good hiking boot.
Timberland White Ledge Waterproof Boot is a full-grain leather, which is ideal for the harsh environment since it offers durability and extra protection.
This is perfect for people who are off the road.
Though there are some, who would wear it daily, it’s for personal preferences. For people with wide feet, it may be challenging to wear it unless it’s just new and it has to be worn out to be comfortable.
- Ideal for all-terrain environments whether for mountain trekking or simply walking along snowy sidewalks during winter.
- High-quality made material and quite sturdy. Enough to last five to ten years.
- For a full-grain leather, it is highly breathable and comfortable because of its footbed.
- It supports your foot well when you climb, pace up, step or sprint. It keeps you balanced and reduced strain in your ankles as well.
- It’s pretty light even if it looked bulky.
- Shoelaces, aglets, and riveted eyelets aren’t so durable, with the former and the latter get easily loose or pop out. Makes it harder to walk if it comes off easily.
Best for Thru-Hiking
The Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid Hiking Boot is one of the top choices for men with wide feet. Aside from the fact that this footwear can cater different feet sizes, its construction is simply you can't ignore.
Its upper construction is made up of dura-leather and nylon ventilator mesh. These two improves this boot's flexibility, durability, and breathability. Even in a longer period of use, this footwear's performance won't easily stumble.
On its toe are some protective rubbers that improve its durability. Moreover, this rubber also provides abrasion resistance to this boots. The lacing system does not interfere with the breathability of this boot.
Thanks to its tongue that has mesh padding, the Moab Ventilator will not let your feet feel hot. Also, the nylon mesh linings of this boot keep away extra moisture to regulate hot temperature.
When it comes to comfort, it uses compression-molded EVA on its midsole and the Air Cushion technology on the heel part. These two acts as shock absorbers and stabilizers of this footwear.
Furthermore, the combination of Vibram Multi-Sport and Supper Trek Rubber technologies allows the outsole of this shoe to have more traction, especially on slippery terrains.
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Highly flexible and breathable
- Have protective features against abrasion
- Highly comfortable to the feet
- Stable even in challenging terrains
- Provides excellent traction
- Little waterproofing mechanism
Best for Women
The last but not the least. The Vasque St. Elias GTX is an excellent choice for men who are in search of a high-performance hiking boot.
The design itself makes you want to wear it every time. It also comes with an affordable price that won't burden your mind.
The St. Elias uses lightweight and multi-padded EVA cushions in its midsole for superior comfort to your feet.
Its entire construction is a combination of different sturdy synthetic materials that improves the footwear's flexibility and durability. It has also Gore-Tex Mesh that gives waterproofing and breathability to this hiking shoe.
Moreover, it uses Vibram technology on its rubber sole to improve ground traction and shock absorption. The St. Elias also uses modern lacing system, which is complemented by its unique collar design.
Unlike any other boots that discarded durability and stability for weight purposes, this footwear didn't. Therefore it is an excellent choice for those who are looking for hiking boot that can deliver guaranteed performance
- Durable and stable
- Modern lacing system
- Perfect for wide feet
- Traction on wet surfaces is excellent
- Heavier than the rest of the brands
Best for Day Hikes
The Hi-Tec Altitude IV Waterproof Hiking Boot may not be a popular footwear choice. But for men that are looking for a hiking boot that can sustain their lust of adventure, this is footwear an ideal choice.
With a great price value, you would be surprised of the features of Altitude IV Waterproof Hiking Boot. It high-quality nubuck leather keeps the entire shoe protected against abrasion and water.
Also, it is a very lightweight shoe. Hence, it doesn't add to the whole weight that you are carrying if you are trekking.
When it comes to comfort, it has enough cushioning and padding on its midsole, making it as an excellent wear. Moreover, the inside surface will not give you any uncomfortable, itchy feeling.
Perhaps, the greatest edge of the Altitude IV is its stability. The midsole is relatively stiff, and the thickness of the outsole improves the hold of this footwear to the ground. It also provides quality ankle stability although the ankle collar has a lower cut.
Furthermore, various rubbers are used in the upper construction so that this footwear can enhance lateral support to your feet. But despite these, expect that the Altitude IV is still a flexible boot!
- Provides lateral support to the feet
- Cushioning and support
- Highly flexible and stable
- Perfect for people with wide feet
- Not breathable
- Moderate traction
How to Choose the Best Hiking Boots for Wide Feet
Since there are a lot of varieties for hiking boots, choosing the ideal pair to your feet is a little bit tricky. But for benefit, I give you a comprehensive guide so that you will avoid spending on the wrong investment.
Fitting and size
The overall comfort, stability, and usability of a hiking boot depend on how fit is to your feet. If you find a perfect size, then you can hike without your feet bothering you. When you are looking for a hiking boot that can cater the size of your feet well, the number of footwear brands will drastically narrow.
Not all brands offer shoe sizes for wide feet. Therefore, brands like Merell and Columbia are some of your options. If you want utter convenience in buying, prefer hiking boots than hiking shoes. Apparently, shoes are not good when it comes fitting wider feet.
Its entire construction alone will tell you the reason. The lacing system of the shoes is only limited to your feet. On the other hand, a hiking boot extends a little upward to your legs. Hence, it has enough support to capture your feet.
Moreover, I will share you a little trick. You can tune the fit of your hiking boots. Depending on how your feet fit inside the shoe, you can always wear thicker or thinner socks. In this way, you can achieve the perfect fit your wide feet.
Your hiking shoes should have additional components that make it breathable, durable, and stable depending on the terrain you are taking. The more the innovative and sophisticated your footwear are, the more benefit it can give to your feet.
For example, a hiking boot that has improved torsional stability is ideal for rocky and rough terrains. Moreover, shoes that are stiffer can give more support to your feet. This feature is essential in reducing the upper body weight, especially if you carrying a heavy backpack.
Some Of The Components Of The Best Hiking Boots For Wide Feet
- Full-grain leather - Excellent for durability. It provides resistance to abrasion and water
- Split-grain leather - This type of leather is made of nylon mesh which makes your shoes breathable
- Nubuck leather - This leather is more durable than the full-grain counterpart. It is also more flexible compared to other leathers.
- Waterproof membrane - It is important for a hiking shoe to be waterproof. If your shoes have a built-in Gore-Tex or eVent membranes, then you can be sure that it can keep your feet dry.
- Insulation - A good hiking shoe should have insulation to keep your feet warm especially on cold weathers
- EVA - The EVA or the ethylene vinyl acetate is a material commonly used in the midsole. This component enhances support and comfort to your feet. Also, it prevents your footwear from easily wearing out.
- Polyurethane - This type of material is tougher and durable than EVA. Therefore, you can see this kind of midsole construction on mountaineering and backpacking boots.
- Plates - The plates are semi-flexible inserts that are found in the midsole and outsole. This component is important because it protects your feet from getting bruises.
- Lug patterns - These crevices and patterns are essential in giving appropriate traction to your feet.
- Heel brake - This component is found on the outsole of your shoes. It improves the hold of your boots to your ground, thus preventing slides even in steep downhill.
Of course, even the presence of these components, hiking boots should never be bulky. It is still important to have lightweight footwear so that you can have superior performance when trekking.
Check this video to know about hiking boots!
All of these brands of hiking boot display superior performance and comfort when you take them to hiking. Many users of each of these footwear brands have already testified to the durability and stability of these boots, even in challenging terrains.
Moreover, their additional features such as waterproofing, abrasion resistance, and lacing technology make them a comfortable use.
But what makes these hiking shoes great is because of the fact they are fit for men with wide feet! As I have mentioned, the performance of a hiking boot depends on its fit to your feet!
Because of these features, buying any of these shoes is an investment on your part. Not only they will improve your hiking experience, but they are also guaranteed to last long! Therefore, buy anyone of them now!
Do you have any comments, questions, and suggestions? Ask us! And don't forget to like, tweet, and share this article!
Also read: Best Camping Hammock